Re: install logging

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> Question is: What should I call the log? IIRC dbootstrap copys over an
> install log now. Would it make sense to append to it? What filename?

I would append to it.  Its /var/log/installer.log

> Does anything ever result in this log being deleted after, say a week of
> uptime, when the events of the install are probably no longer a concern,
> and a huge typescript of a base-config run should not be cluttering up
> the disk?

Nope.

The only thing I can think of is to offer to delete it after the
apt-get madness in case the user knows all went well and they don't
want it.

I don't see any other automatation (such as removal after a week)
which doesn't eithher (a) involve a lot of work to be robust or (b)
violate the principle of least suprise.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>