Re: Booting to floppy

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 05:09:53PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 04:41:28PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > i don't think its possible to make a generic rescue image that will
> > > boot all the various powerpcs, but isn't there several different
> > > versions of it anyway for the different powerpc sub-archs?
> >
> > Seems like a moot point since we don't have any people working on
> > PowerPC boot-floppies ?
>
> sure we do! we have drow, and um... uh..
>
> > Shame...
>
> yes, i would but i just don't have the requisite skills.
>
> > It's a possibility.   Theoretically cleaner, if, as Sven points out,
> > we can address the proper file (perhaps even double check it's the
> > right kernel somehow).
>
> is debian-installer going to do this the same way?  copying the kernel
> from the `rescue' disk if thats what it still ends be up being called.

But i had problems (a long time ago, so it may have changed) with it when i
was doing boot-floppies work for apus. I don't know why, but it worked fine
when done by hand when running debian normally, but wasn't able to mount the
rescue disk when from dbootstrap. I never got beind the problem.

Also, note that when doing a CD install, dbootstrap uses the kernel it found
on the Cd and the modules.tgz file, not the rescue disk. On apus this make
more sense, as we don't really use floppies, just files on the harddisk.

Friendly,

Sven Luther