Re: stuff I can work on - Woody branch

bruce@perens.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> Here's my commentary on the Woody branch of the todo file. Sorry about the
> false start.
>
> 	Bruce
>
> > - test integration of AJ's dynamic base building package 'debootstrap'
> >   it is now called by dbootstrap, has been tested some. Still need
> >   to add support for cdrom installs, currently only net install is supported.
>
> I have the necessary background, but no previous experience with this script.

This is somewhat integrated now, FYI, although it's getting the
archiveDir wrong on install from disk/cd etc.

> > - fold out mklib.sh (library reduction) into it's own package
> >   Marcus Brinkmann promised to do this
>
> I can help with this, I wrote the predecessor of this script.

FYI, it seems to be working now.  powerPC too, but I haven't had
confirmation.

> > - eliminate all "configure the base system" steps -- they should be
> >   handled, ideally, be debconf stuff run devolved into the right
> >   packages
>
> Again, is this in the boot-floppies or the installer project?

Actually, it's Debian-wide.  Bugs need to be filed against the pkgs
asking they do the right thing.

The idea is to not add any more gunk to the spaghetti code which is
dbootstrap.

> > - eliminate top-level makefile grossness
> >   Randolph and Adam are working on this, is underway
>
> I can help if it's necessary.

We've come a long way.  I wish we could eliminate the build something
to top dir, then release.sh moves to it's place.  No reason why would
couldn't build stuff right into release itself, or a different staging
dir, for instance.

> > - our hacked version of newt and slang have been removed.
> >   Any necessary changes need to propogate into woody !
>
> I first put NEWT into the installer long ago, so I have some experience with
> it. Any clue about what changes are necessary?

People are already working on utf8 versions of this.

> > - eliminate lilo configuration ?
> > - go with grub ?
>
> Does GRUB work with Reiser FS yet? LILO should, because of its design.

Well, boot-floppies doesn't work with ReiserFS yet...

> > - another nice thing would be reiserfs support, see
> >   <URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot-0010/msg00191.html> --
> >   would need mkreiserfs, devfsd, a patched kernel for 2.2.x (or go
> >   with 2.4 kernels!), possible reiserfsprogs?
>
> Can do.

That would be a good choice.

> > - [2000.05.15] dialog box msg for "harddisk" option is very obscure
>
> Can do.

Would be very nice.

> > - [10/30/1998, joey] The user should only be queried once for the
> >   cd-rom path if the path that was provided at the first place
> >   matches the need at the second place, too. Ditto for other media.
>
> Can do.

Ditto.

Thanks Bruce -- any luck?  Are you going to contribute?

At least the stuff seems to be more-or-less buildable these days.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>