Re: slang, boot-floppies, and wide character support

Hi.

In <[🔎] oar8z66o8m.fsf@arroz.fake>,
 on "06 Apr 2001 11:29:13 -0400",
 with "Re: slang, boot-floppies, and wide character support",
  Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:

> Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp> writes:
>
> > Can I create shrink_string subdirectory in utilities/dbootstrap/
> > and put this utility as ja.c ?
>
> Sure.
>
> > If there aren't any objections, I'll commit the required modification
> > into woody version.
>
> No objections at all.

Thanks.  I just commited them now, and pray nothing will break.

> Edmundo had some revised patches, I assume you saw that.

I'll check it.

> > I had tried to create them before the potato release.  But it was
> > already frozen time for potato, and I couldn't rely on me that
> > I did it correct on devel packages (libnewt-dev and slang1-dev),
> > I have not uploaded them.
>
> Well, now's the time.  I would say, just do it.  If we get it in now,
> we can lay some testing on it and correct problem prior to woody
> release.

I think tt may be easy to provide the forked package with utf-8 support
for testing.  Is this still OK ?  maybe newt-uff8 and slang1-utf8 or
newt-i18n and slang1-i18n.  They would have conflict with the normal
version.  And if they are OK, then the normal package can merge the
utf-8 support safely, and we won't need the separate pacakages then.

> > I don't know how well tested the bogl-bterm is. Just wonder.
>
> Well, again, now is the time to get testing on it.  Is this going to
> be packed separately as well?  Wouldn't it also be needed for Debian
> Installer?

I think bogl-bterm has been included in unstable/sid.

Package: bogl-bterm
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 52
Maintainer: Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: bogl
Version: 0.1.4-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.1-2)
Filename: pool/main/b/bogl/bogl-bterm_0.1.4-1_i386.deb
Size: 16892
MD5sum: 3f5f3a4bb7f13ce7e2e128ea22b9399f
 Ben's Own Graphics Library is a small framebuffer library,
 including basic widgets, support for text in multiple
 languages, and mouse handling.
 .
 This package contains bterm, a utf-enabled framebuffer terminal.

> > And I think the current packages including base-config has
> > messages for Japanese in euc-jp, not in utf-8, so we need
> > some work if we use utf-8 to show the messages with bogl-bterm.
>
> Will iconv convert them?

Maybe. We need to check it.

> > Well, so there may be softwares which can not handle the config files
> > written in utf-8 encoding.  If we use utf-8 as main encoding in Debian,
> > we need to work on them.
>
> I'd rather not force that, esp. for users who just need the ASCII
> set.  Can't we get it to write out the config files (such as
> /etc/hosts, /etc/network/interfaces, etc) in ASCII?

OK. I won't object it.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>