Re: DHCP, BOOTP and linux

"Eray Ozkural (exa)" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:

> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > The BOOTP didn't work either. I then realized that it was broken for
> > > my card at least and switched to 2.4.1 for my net box. The 2.4.1 did
> > > have BOOTP but it didn't seem to have DHCP. Anybody knows why?
> >
> > I dunno -- do you have the necessary kernel options compiled in?
> > You'd have to see the DHCP documentation for what exact options these
> > are, I forget.
>
> I'm right now in the 2.4.1 tree, looking at xconfig and then menuconfig.
> No, it's not listed in the configuration. There's only BOOTP and RARP.
> I am at a loss.

>From /usr/doc/dhcp/README.gz:

 Make sure CONFIG_PACKET (Packet socket) and CONFIG_FILTER (Socket
 Filtering) are enabled in your kernel configuration

> > > has anybody managed to use DHCP for a clean nfs root setup?
> >
> > No, haven't gotten around to trying that.
>
> Hmmm. There's nothing corresponding to home directory for bootfiles
> but there is the root-path and bootfile-name options. Have to try these,
> but will be difficult without DHCP support in the kernel. I guess the
> bootfile name had worked.

I dunno, see the diskless* packages.  Also, see the CONFIG_IP_PNP*
options in <kernel-source>/Documentation/Configure.help .

> > Yes, that would be nice.   I think I could pretty easily add a
> > boot-floppies secondary package created during the process that let
> > you install it and have a boot server for i386 machines, or sparcs, or
> > whatever.
>
> Great!

Well, god knows if I'll have to time to get around to it.

> Is there support for non interactive install in the boot-floppies
> module?

No.

> Even if not, it could be like this: the server has a shell
> on the nfsroot'd client, and installation proceeds from there. User
> enters information from a terminal on the server. Can this be done?

linux init=/path/to/script ?