Re: d-i floppy image?

David Whedon wrote:
> > What about nfsroot? It would be very convenient for me to use the other
> > box like that. I could write a target for that and we would have btw
> > started work on real network installation. What do you think?
> I'm not completely sure what you are proposing.  Do you mean a boot floppy that
> mounts its root filesystem over nfs?

Yes, I guess I'm talking about that. And I'm also talking about using a
boot rom to boot the kernel as well. That'd be neat.

Another setup could be made like this. I think you can get a serial
console to run the installation program currently. Or with some little
hacking. Now how about getting the console over a remote shell? As soon
as the nfsroot image boots up it sends a signal to a watching process
on the server (in some way) and then the server can get a remote shell
with d-i working on it? This would be a good start for working out a
non-interactive installation over network.

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr