Re: Help!: boot hangs on 'starting XFontServer'

"Daniel Howe" <dchowe@u.washington.edu> writes:

> I just got X to start for the first time with my new Debian 2.2 install.
> When I reboot, however, it hangs on 'starting XFontServer'.
> Even with the rescue disk I can't get the system to boot at all. Any
> help would be very much appreciated...

You must have some sort of X problem.  The X11 system is not covered
by this list or by the boot-floppies -- isn't there an X11 list?

You might try booting into runlevel 2, or booting into single user
mode.  See the boot parameter HOWTO if you don't know how to do this.