Re: task problem

Le ven 02 fév 2001 à 05:58:32 -0500, Adam Di Carlo écrivait :
> Oliver, we're not trying to be difficult.  We're just swamped.

	You can trust me, I know what you're talking about! ;-)

> I don't see any good reason why the task packages themselves should
> conflict/provide/replace mail-transport-agent -- only the actual MTA
> packages should.
>
> Does this provide any light?

	Well, actually not. The task doesn't conflicts neither replace
any mail-transport-agent. This is sendmail from which depends the task
that does it. I think we should forget the dependency conflicts
between sendmail and exim. Please read the following:

> I suggest you go through the install -- you'll be left with a
> more-or-less pristine base distribution.
>
> Then, do 'apt-get -sfum install task-whatever' which you're trying to
> install.  What does that say?  Does it give any clues?

	As I said already, an "apt-get install" done right after the
end of the installation process works just fine. "ppp" is removed,
exim or whichever MTA is installed is replaced by sendmail. The
problem only occurs if tasksel and the underlying debian-reconfig (or
smthg like that) process try to install the task. And this only occurs
with this task package, not the other one which depends on ssmtp and
conflicts with ppp also.

	Here are the equations*:

(debian-reconfig => tasksel) + ssmtp - ppp = OK
(debian-reconfig => tasksel) + sendmail + bind - ppp = problem
(debian-reconfig => tasksel) + sendmail + bind = OK
(pristine disto && apt-get install) + sendmail + bind - ppp = OK
(debian-reconfig => dselect) + sendmail + bind - ppp = OK**

* please change "debian-reconfig" by the correct script name
** accepting the default conflict resolution action

	The only solution I found was not trying to remove ppp
(equation #3). I was trying to remove it because I install firewalls
and I don't want to let any non required package on the system. But,
actually, I don't care if ppp is installed. There's no more problem for
me now, but I consider this a workaround, not a fix.

	"It's better to aim at perfection and miss it than to aim at
	 imperfection and reach it"
					Bertrand Russell

--
                                O. Delemar, CS-SI. ATHESA
                CEA/CENG, Bat. T, 17 Av. des Martyrs, GRENOBLE