Making a Boot CD

Hi-
I am wondering how to make a bootable CD for a laptop. My friend has a
ThinkPad i series (i don't remember which at the moment) and it doesn't
have a floppy drive. The plan is to create a boot cd that has the installer
and base system on it and then install and use his PCMCIA ethernet nic to
download the rest of the software, so how ever i set this up it needs to
have the PCMCIA software set up on it. Thanks for any information you can
provide.

P.S. I am not subscribed to the list so please reply back to my email.