i18n on alpha, plus ramdisk size issues

Package: kernel-image-2.2.20-generic
Version: 2.2.20-1
Severity: important

I built an i18n-enabled set of boot-floppies for my alpha, and they seem to
work OK.  There isn't much space on the root disk for languages but I was
able to fit en, de, pt, ja which is probably better than nothing.

However, a latent bug causes trouble: the alpha kernels are built with the
default ramdisk size set to 4MB, rather than 8MB as on other arches.  This
means that the root image gets truncated, leading to all sorts of hilarity.
In theory, even the non-i18n image is too big to fit but I guess that nothing
important happens to end up in the area that's lost.  You can work around
this by passing "ramdisk_size=8192" on the kernel command line, but I don't
think this would be acceptable to users.  I'm filing an "important" bug
on the kernel image to see if it can be changed; I haven't actually enabled
LC for alpha pending a resolution to this.

p.