Compact disks for Compaq DL380

I have a Compaq DL380 with a Smart Array 5i controller.

This machine doesn't seem to be happy with the "compact" boot disks (in potato). The thing boots up but doesn't "see" the disks. I have installed Debian on other Compaq machines before and have had to use the compact root and rescue boot disks.

I don't see any error messages while booting, however I also don't see the "discovering" of the array. Am I missing something? boot command line for the kernel? or do I need to make a new custom kernel boot disk? If I do need to make a new "rescue" disk then please point me at the howto. In the 2.4.X kernel the config menu shows support for the "Compaq Smart 2" and the "Compaq Smart Array 5XXX". Is there a 2.4 kernel "compact" boot image already made with this support turned on?

Thanks,
Loren