Re: Booting from Linux in the install guide

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 02:33:47PM +0100, Daniel Bonniot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently installed a testing system. It seems that the section about
> booting from a previously installed linux system (section 6.3.2 in
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html)
> has disappeared from
> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html. If
> found this misleading. Shouldn't it be there under section 5.4.2?
>
> Daniel

Here's what happened. I reorganized the information to be more
chronological, and I moved all infomration about obtaining system
installation files to section 4, Obtaining System Installation Files.

The section you remember on installing from a linux system didn't have
any other information in it besides 'get the installation system files
and put them on a linux partition, not the one you're going to install
on'. It then said one could use any valid booting scheme to boot the
installation system, and described burning floppies.

So it did kind of disappear, because there was nothing unique about
it. Perhaps we should mention in section 4.2, what kinds of partitions
the installation system files can reside on.

There was an idea put forth recently on the list about putting
together a wget-able package to install Debian from RH or other linux
distro. If that happens, it would deserve its own section, I think.

Do you have any other ideas or concerns?

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |