notes/bugs on recent alpha install
Here are a couple of things I noticed while installing with boot floppies from
a few days ago:
- I tried accessing the base distribution via NFS and got a "Malformed release
file ..." error. I was able to determine that the problem was that the file
wasn't readable. It would be really nice if there were a more helpful error
- I made the file above readable, but I still kept getting the same error
message. It's almost as if this error is "sticky"--once you get it you're
stuck. (see below)
- I tried, in a different attempt, to grab the base distribution via the FTP
method. This also failed with the "Malformed release file ..." error after
a few seconds (perhaps due to a network problem?). When I repeated the
attempt, I got the same error message, but immediately, as if the network
weren't even being checked.
At this point, I removed a file that looked like state, named
'debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_Release'. After this, I tried again, as
above, and the attempt succeeded. It almost seems like something's not
being cleaned up correctly when an attempt fails.
- There is text on one of the dialogs that says "alt-F4 to debug". It seems
like it should say alt-F3, as that's where the bootstrap output is. F4 has
- I also had the busybox wget vs ftp problem documented elsewhere.