Re: dbootstrap broken on mips and mipsel

Hi Karsten,
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 10:00:27PM +0100, Karsten Merker wrote:
> due to changes in the upstream Linux/MIPS kernel (/proc/cpuinfo changes
> during the 2.4.15 merge) dbootstrap is currently broken on mips and mipsel
> with kernel 2.4.15 and newer. These kernels do not anymore provide
> information in /proc/cpuinfo needed by dbootstrap to determine the subarch.
> We are working on getting an alternative source for the required
> information into the upstream kernel. As soon as this is achieved, we
> can modify dbootstrap accordingly.
Please don't. Let's talk Ralf into readding these things to
/proc/cpuinfo again. This is 2.4 - so supposed to be *stable*. I'm happy if
these things move to other locations for 2.5(maybe even adding proper
subarch(e.g. ip22), vendor(e.g. SGI), and model(Indigo2) fields to ease
up parsing), but *please* not for 2.4. I've not looked at 2.4.16 myself
yet but (re)moving this kind of information is not a good idea at this
point IMHO.
 -- Guido