From: Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net>
To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
Subject: 10.3 Replacing the Rescue Floppy Kernel ppc

This is for powermac. I really can't speak to any of the other ppc
versions.

10.3 Replacing the Rescue Floppy Kernel for PowerMac

<snip>
Comment on kernel list.
Minix file support is not required and I don't think msdos is either.
ext2 certainly is? Is hfs? I'd guess not, but it's probably a
recommends.
<snip until after the kernel list>

Download a set of boot floppies. You will need the hfsutils package
installed.

Your custom kernel should be named something like vmlinux when you're
done building it. You will need to gzip -9 that file.

You need to update the boot-floppy-hfs.img disk for initial booting.
hmount boot-floppy-hfs.img
hcopy -r vmlinux.gz :zImage
humount

You need to update the rescue disk since the installation gets the files
from there. Mount the rescue disk image something like the following.
        mount -t auto -o loop rescue.bin /mnt

Assuming you used /mnt as the mount point, copy your custom kernel to the
file linux.gz on /mnt.

If you want to be complete about it, you'll also want to gzip the
System.map from your custom kernel and place it on /mnt as sys_map.gz
and the .config as place it on /mnt as config.gz.

Now you can umount your disk image and burn your floppies.

One additional caveat, you will probably want to "Install Kernel and
Driver Modules" using the floppies your just built to get your custom
kernel installed on the hard drive.

I'm sure someone out there can make this better, but it's certainly
better than "Documentation not complete, text missing."

Also, unless I've missed something, how does one manually modify the
drivers disk? It looks like floppy-split puts on custom headers and
such making it quite difficult to modify by hand. I guess this needs
to be specified for i386 too.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>