Re: b-f testing and development with user-mode linux

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 01:03:44PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Matt Zimmerman]
> > Here's a screenshot to demonstrate:
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~mdz/uml-bootfloppies.jpeg
>
> How to you start uml to get this working?  Can you make it boot from the
> install CD?

Well, you have to use a patched kernel, so you can't use the exact kernel
from the rescue disk or the CD.  You can use the same root filesystem,
though.  What I do is use the standard 2.4.16-2um UML kernel from the
user-mode-linux package and give it root.bin as its root filesystem.  I add
on a filesystem to install on, and one containing some auxiliary utilities
(like the modules for the UML kernel), and I start it like this:

linux con=xterm eth0=tuntap,,,aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd \
        ubd0=install.ext2 ubd1=root.ext2 ubd2=utils.ext2 \
        root=/dev/ubd/1 devfs=nomount

The eth0 bit is for TUN/TAP virtual networking, which is optional if you
supply the .debs and such from some other source.

--
 - mdz