Re: testing boot floppies 3.0.18

Joey Hess writes:
 > Jeff Sheinberg wrote:
 > >     o After rebooting, I am asked if I want to startup the ppp
 > >     connection, however, the pppconfig program is _not_ run before
 > >     pon is executed.  A newbie user would be completely lost here,
 > >     and under potato, pppconfig was run before pon was executed.
 >
 > The code is this:
 >
 >                 # Set up ppp if not already set up.
 >                 if [ ! -e /etc/ppp/peers/provider ]; then
 >                         pppconfig --noname </dev/tty >/dev/tty || true
 >                 fi
 >
 > Maybe the ppp package has changed so that there is a /etc/ppp/peers/provider
 > by default; this would defeat base-config. Would someone like to run
 > debootstrap or do a test install and check?

Ok, here is why the above check is not working corrrectly,

    from the "/var/lib/dpkg/info/ppp.postinst" file,

    test -f /etc/ppp/peers/provider || \
      install -g dip -m 640 /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/provider.peer /etc/ppp/peers /provider

so, we see that the ppp package installs a provider file at
post-install time.

What needs to be done is something like this,

    if [ ! -e /etc/ppp/peers/provider ] ||
    cmp -s /etc/ppp/peers/provider /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/provider.peer
    then
        pppconfig --noname </dev/tty >/dev/tty || true
    fi

 > Of course, if pppconfig is not installed as part of the base system or
 > something, that could also explain it.

Yes, pppconfig is installed,

    $ debootstrap --print-debs woody . | tr -s ' ' '\n' | grep pppcon
    pppconfig

 > >     o I have no pcmcia devices.  This was neither detected
 > >     properly, nor was I queried about pcmcia, instead, there were
 > >     various unsightly errors printed regarding pcmcia during the
 > >     reboot.
 >
 > Like what?

Basically, since I have neither pcmcia controller nor pcmcia
devices on my workstation, the pcmcia package should have been
deinstalled before rebooting, but this was not done,

    $ dpkg -l --root=/bf-test pcmcia-cs
    [..]
    ii pcmcia-cs 3.1.22-0.1potato PCMCIA Card Services for Linux.

here is one such message, if you want to seem all of them, then
just install pcmcia-cs on a workstation,

    Linux PCMCIA Card Servide 3.1.29
    kernel build: 2.2.19 unknown
    option: [pci] [cardbus] [apm]
    Intel ISA/PCI/Cardbus PCI probe: no bridges found
    ds: no socket drives loaded

--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>