Re: testing CD that boots

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 11:29:33AM +0100, A Mennucc1 wrote:

> hi
>
> I would like to make a CD of testing that boots,
>  and to use it to install a PC;
> and I would like to use (and test) the latest boot method
>
> I have already installed debian-cd and used it many times in the past
> (I once made some bootable CD of potato)
>
> I have downloaded
> http://people.debian.org/~aph/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/3.0.17-2001-11-13/
>
> but I dont see , nor the base disks, neither the base.tgz

You should become familiar with the woody install documentation:
<a
href="http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/doc/install.en.html";>
Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 For PowerPC</a>

There is no longer any base.tgz, instead you install from the network
or from a local (full) archive.

> do I need them ? if yes, where do I find them?
>
> also: do I need to put in the CD all the above URL?
> or, can I skip some subdirectories?

Depends on what you want to use the cd for...
If you just want one architecture for one PC, just get that
architecture's stuff...

> btw: I think that we should put the answer to above question in
> some documentation file...

Did I mention the installation manual? But for debian-cd usage, that
would be a subject for their list...

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |