Prosignia VS

Hi,

I’m trying to install Debian Linux on a Compaq Prosignia VS. I cannot find any info on the Compaq Site on installing Linux in any flavor in this kind of machine.

I get trough the boot proces pretty easily until a partition needs to be made and the system finds out it cannot find the HDD.

Probably it doesn’t recognize the SCSI-controller.

The only clue I can find inside the system is a chip with NCR printed on it.

I’ve tried to use the boot-argument for an NCR-based SCSI controller : “sym53c8xx=safe:y”

However without any result. I get an error “Could not find kernel image: sym53c8x.x=s”

Can anybody help me? In my opinion it’s a shame to throw away this server while it still is good enough for Linux.

If you need any additional information about the machine, let me know.

Best regards

Marcel Verdonk

mverdonk@nl.mainetti.com