Re: Problems with sparc boot installation

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 01:58:26PM -0600, Brian Dolan-Goecke wrote:

> I hope this is going to the correct place.  If not please let me know and
> I will direct future questions elsewhere.
>
> I have a problem with the install scripts on intel and on sparc for woody.
>
> The problem on intel is that the ppp package now requires libpcap0 which
> isn't in the install list of packages, so the ppp install fails and blows
> the whole install.  I think my install script maybe old, so you have
> probably already fixxed this.

this was fixed quite awhile ago.

> The Problem with the sparc is more of a problem.  I have tried to install
> via the tftpboot.img files on two different sparc machines, a 1120 and a
> sparc 5 workstation.  The 1120 install is done via the serial port, and the
> sparc 5 was done via the installed video/monitor/keyboard/mouse.  But locked
> hard after the installation of the wiptail package.  The 1120 install all
> I see is:
>
>    lqqqqqu Installing Base System - alt-F4 to debug, alt-F1 to return tqqqqqk
>    x Extracting                                                             x
>    x /var/cache/apt/archives/whiptail_0.50.17-7_sparc.deb...                x
>                       Debian GNU/Linux System Installation

its not locked up, there is simply no more progress bar updates after
that point.  i suppose you don't have a tty4 to switch to so you could
see dpkg plugging away on a serial port.

i have fixed this in 3.0.17 boot-floppies, you now get progress bars
for all parts of the base install.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/