language-chooser and keyboard configuration

The code to select a keymap based on the language variant doesn't seem to be
working very well.  The keymap names in the language.src files need to match
up with the "choices" entries in kbdconfig.c, but on the whole this isn't
happening.  For example, the QWERTY layouts have an extra "i386/" in
english.src compared to kbdconfig.c.  This particular one would be easy to
fix, but I suspect it will be harder to cope with the fact that some
architectures have different lists of keymaps for each subarch.

I'm quite tempted to rip this stuff out and make people go through the
standard "Configure the Keyboard" step even when the language chooser is in
use.  What do people think?

p.