Re: Patch against current CVS (MIPS R3k support, MSDOS partitions tables for mipsel)

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:11:06AM +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:

> > +	# $(MAKE) -C mips-specials addinitrd
> > +	# addinitrd does not work with most DECstation firmware revisions
> Any ideas what is the problem here?

The only working machine I have found is Harald's /260 :-(. Neither
a /20 nor a /33 nor a /150 were able to boot an addinitrd-modified image.
It looks like the DECstation firmware is a lot more sensitive than the
Indy firmware. Booting the resulting image works up to the beginning of
the ECOFF data section containing the ramdisk. Then it stops loading
because of an "a.out error".
At first we thought of problems with the file offset pointers in the ECOFF
headers (addinitrd does not adjust them when adding the ramdisk, it modifies
only VMA), but correcting them did not make any difference. Possibly
the firmware has a problem with the data section having a VMA greater
than the end of the bss section. My firmware docs unfortunately do not
give any specific information about this.
We have also tried swapping the order of data and bss, but this has
not worked either.

Greetings,
Karsten
--