Re: debootstrap 0.1.15.5, urgent for woody, needs testing

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 02:18:48PM +0200, Tommi Virtanen wrote:
> Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> writes:
>
> > > As I understood it, it allowed it to be called like "smallyes ''".
> > Which could've been achieved by simply replacing
> >
> > YES="${1:-y}"
> >
> > with
> >
> > YES="${1-y}"
>
> 	Oh, that still fails the second part of the bug report (#115581)
>         -- smallyes foo bar echoes "foo\nfoo\n..", not "foo bar\nfoo bar\n.."
>
>         Fortunately, that isn't triggered by anything (yet). Do you want to
>         rely on that?
>
>         In fact, no combination of 1,*,@ and :-, - manages to work perfectly
>         for all of bash, ash and zsh ;) Assuming install will use ash or bash,
>         either *-y or @-y seems like a good pick.
>
>         In the following, "y::foo bar:" is the expected result.

look, smallyes is NOT meant to be a complete and perfect replication
of /usr/bin/yes its meant to be tiny minimal replacment for exclusive
use by debootstrap, and debootstrap ONLY uses it to the extent of
sending a endless stream of newlines to the dpkg process.  NOTHING
MORE.

so i don't care if all these exotic uses that break my small version
don't work, debootstrap doesn't need a full featured yes, if it did we
would just use busybox's (assuming its version is even as full
featured as you seem to want it to be).  all debootstrap needs is a
minimal command to spew newlines to dpkg, thats it.

thats why its called SMALLyes and not just yes.

<endless pedantism deleted>

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/