3.0.16 from people.debian.org broke on powerpc

After selecting Install Kernel and Modules, and selecting the partition on
harddisk option, the welcome boot screen came up. The message in
/var/log/messages said

(none) user.info linuxrc: Process '/sbin/dbootstrap' (pid 55) exited.
Scheduling it for restart.

I noted the partition I had asked to be mounted was indeed mounted in tty2.

Upon re-selecting install Kernel and Modules, I could proceed by selecting
the mounted partition option.

I went back to verify that the error was repeatable, no matter the type or
location of the partition which was to be mounted.

Then, after choosing Install the Base System, i watched all the packages
download. Then the system seemed to hang although there was some rhythmic
disk activity for awhile. tty2 was unresponsive (although still echoing what
I typed). The progress bar was still up on tty1, and the last message on tty4
was

Setting up sysvinit (2.83-1)
Creating /dev/initctl

After turning the machine off and rebooting into the install system, there
was quite a few fs errors, I guess to be expected.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |