From: Chris Bellers <cbellers@earthlink.net>
To: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Testing/woody boot/root disk problem: MACE is broken.
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 14:00:29 -0500
X-From_: bounce-debian-powerpc=erbenson=alaska.net@lists.debian.org  Sun Oct 21 11:55:44 2001

This is my first post to debian-ppc, so please bear with me.

When I boot the woody boot/root disks, everything looks like it inits
okay, but when I get into the installer, it rapidly becomes apparent
that something is badly broken. Here are the symptoms:

#1: MACE Ethernet card cannot be configured with dhcp

#2: upon manual configuration, there is no connectivity at all.

#3: ifconfig says the card exists (and now has a manually assigned IP.
It is receiving packets, but not transmitting them)

#4: Pinging *anything* results in a segmentation fault (of the busybox
ping module, I assume)

I should note that woody installed fine several weeks ago, there must
have been some change made. And Potato still installs without

Here's the hardware shakedown for this system:

Pmac 7600
604e/180MP cpu card
256K L2
ATI Mach32 video
2GB Fireball SCSI drive

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful.

Chris Bellers