Re: Woody install report

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 05:14:38AM -0500, S.Salman Ahmed wrote:

> I just downloaded b-f 3.0.15 (compact set, built on 2001-10-16) and
> installed Woody on my Dell Latitude C800 laptop. Everything went very
> smoothly. My only comments, questions actually, on the install(er) are:
>
> (1) what happened to the progress meters that used to show up when
> dowloading rescue.bin, drivers.tgz, etc ? I had gotten used to the
> download rate meter, progress meter, ETA info, etc. that used to be in
> the potato b-f/installer.

i think someone ripped it out and added parsing of busybox wget
output, that may have only been half done in 3.0.15 i suppose.

> (2) can the base system files be downloaded by FTP ? I thought I saw an
> email posted to this list saying that FTP retrieval of base system files
> was possible.

well i fixed debootstrap but apparently dbootstrap still does a
`ftp:// ? FOAD!'

someone already volunteered to fix that, dunno if they have yet or not.

> (3) in the post-boot configuration, why are MD5 passwords defaulted to
> "No" ie not enabled ?

compatibility with crufty old unixes i suppose.  if you were to make
the box into an NIS server that would matter i think.

> (4) this is not totally related to debian-boot, but are there any plans
> to ship Woody with a 2.4 kernel ?

only on architectures which require it. (read not i386)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/