Re: [d-i] partkit vs autopartkit

Le Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 11:59:35AM -0400, Joey Hess écrivait:
> There seems to be quite a lot of overlap between partkit and
> autopartkit. I guess the former gives more control, and the latter
> figures it all out for you (and can resize fat partitions). So we
> probably want both, but for the immediate goal of getting d-i to work,
> which should we focus on?

As you mention, they serve different purposes, so a choice is difficult.

If you want a newbie friendly partitioner which work only with common
setup, use autopartkit but :
- it won't work on non-i386 afaik
- you can't decide anything (size of partitions are calculated according
  to the free space)

> this couldn't be broken off into a third udeb, call it partselect, that
> handles picking the partitions. Or maybe it would make better sense to
> merge the two code trees into one that builds 2 udebs, or to split it
> off into a static library, or completly merge them, and offer the user
> the ability to autopartition or manually partition each device in turn.
> Thoughts?

Anyway there are several tasks (actually my autoparkit do them all
(without asking anything though)) :
- resizing partitions (autopartkit does only resize FAT)
- creating partitions in the free space (that may have be liberated by
  the previous resize)
  (autoparkit create a fixed number of partitions and calculate the
  size automatically)
- choosing the mount point and mounting them on /target/mountpoint
- writing /target/etc/fstab

We need to find a framework to have those steps integrate each other.

An expert mode would let the user control everything while a newbie mode
would use an "autopartkit" like module that'd give hints for the mount
points to the module in charge of writing /etc/fstab and mounting
partitions.

You can also note that the resizing/creating partitions is optional, one
may want to reinstall over a preexisting system.

Cheers,
Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com