Re: [d-i] today's treecompare

On Sat Oct 20, 2001 at 01:03:12AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 01:45:39AM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> > On Fri Oct 19, 2001 at 11:20:18PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > >
> > > busybox dd does not produce output like GNU dd.
> >
> > So you have specifics?  I've not seen a bug report from you.
>
> well it at least didn't used to display any output.

I'm sure from previous emails that you hate me, and it is obvious you hate
busybox.  Thats fine and I really don't care.  But this is complete nonsense.

Here is GNU dd:

    [andersen@dillweed busybox]$ /bin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo bs=1k count=100
    100+0 records in
    100+0 records out

And here is the latest busybox:

    [andersen@dillweed busybox-0.60.1]$ ./busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo bs=1k count=100
    100+0 records in
    100+0 records out

And here is busybox from _2_ years ago:

    [andersen@dillweed busybox-0.40]$ ./busybox dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/foo bs=1k count=100
    100+0 records in
    100+0 records out

And here is busybox-0.25 from back in 1998 when Bruce was still maintaining it:

    [andersen@dillweed busybox-0.25]$ ln -fs ./busybox dd
    [andersen@dillweed busybox-0.25]$ cat /dev/zero | ./dd bs=1k count=100 > /tmp/foo
    100+0 records in
    100+0 records out

> but parsing some basically informative verbosity output from a utility
> is a damned fragile kludge of a way to do something,

Umm.  What possible good would it do to parse dd output?  Check the
return code.  or stat the output file if you are paranoid.

 -Erik