Re: [d-i] busybox-udeb increased size

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:06:30 -0400
"Joey Hess" <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> Between this spring and now, busybox-udeb has grown in size by some 52k.
> Since the d-i system is too big to fit on a floppy right now, we badly
> need to trim this back.

There is some duplication of code with tar in the stable branch.

The untar code used by the dpkg and dpkg-deb applets is different than the
code used by the tar applet. This was necessary to move all the unarchive
applets to a common codebase. It adds about 5kB to busybox, there is a new
version of busybox tar in the unstable branch of cvs that remove the code
duplication but its in unstable for a reason.

The currrent ar applet is bigger than the old ar applet as it drags in all the
common unarchive code which has more option than ar itself needs, but enough
to handle tars needs.

The good news is that that the combined the tar and ar from unstable should be
smaller than any other busybox versions, and once the common unarchiving code
is used everything else is cheap, e.g dpkg-deb adds 2.4kB

Glenn