Re: b-f 3.0.14 and the Hurd.

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, David Kimdon wrote:

> Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:31:28AM -0400 wrote:
> > Philip Charles <philipc@copyleft.co.nz> writes:
> >
> > > This may be of some interest to someone.
> > >
> > > b-f 3.0.14 has been successfully modified to install the Hurd tarball (a
> > > primative form of base??.tgz)
>
> That is great, the more Hurd boxes the better.
> >
> > It is interesting but non-sensical, since is b-f 3.x, there is no
> > base*.tgz anymore.
>
> It is odd, but maybe that's just the way the Hurd developers decided
> to do it?

Not by choice, but because of the limitations of the Hurd at this stage of
its development.  At the moment the base*.tgz (the Hurd tarball) is built
using Linux on a Hurd filesystem.  b-f (Linux i386 flavour) is used to
partition the HDD (no partitioning tools yet), create the Hurd f-s and
unpack the tarball onto it.  Crazy, but it works.

I am trying to keep running parallel to b-f and debian-cd versions as they
emerge so that the Hurd and Linux versions can be merged when the time
comes.

So please excuse my bad temper a few weeks ago when I discovered that
base*.tgz had gone.  However, it is back again in the Hurd version after
considerable butchery of the code.

Phil.

-
  Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Dunedin, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818
     philipc@copyleft.co.nz - preferred.           philipc@debian.org