help!@#$%^

hello,
  I tried to install debian linux on an IDE TOSHIBA
XM-6201TA CD-ROM, everything up until installing the
kernal and moduals worked fine. When I tried to instal
the kernal and module from the CD-ROM, it was not able
to read the CD. When it said "please insert the CD-ROM
and press any key", it would then say something like
CD-ROM could not be initialized (sorry, not able to
give the exact message because I don't have the
installation CD with me, but that really close to what
it said). I have tried using a boot disc, I have tried
booting it directly from a DOS partition, and it can
never seem to get passed that part. What do I do?