Re: request for help to make powerpc custom boot disks

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:10:50PM +0200, damsnet@free.fr wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> I am going mad, since I have tried to make these Performa boot for may be 2
> months now...
> My situation is the following: these Performa are for use in a
> university, and since I can't make them boot from the harddrive (I tested near
> everything possible), I need a boot floppy. But I would like the boot process to
> be possible whithout any user intervention. So could you please explain me the
> whole process for creating a boot disk like the one Debian use for installation?
>
> What kernel to use exactly: vmlinux.coff? vmlinux.gz? ....
> How to make the boot disk? using Miboot?
>
> What I have tried for now is to change the kernel of the Debian bootdisk,
> then bless the floppy with hattrib and try to boot on it. But none of my kernels
> worked, althought I used the .config from kernel-patch-2.2.19-powerpc and I
> correctly patched the kernel sources with the patch.
>
> a good explanation (or a link to an Howto or a FAQ on it) would be greatly
> appreciated. I really need to solve this problem...
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Damien.

I can hazard a guess that the reason you're not hearing anything here, is
that the capability to make a boot floppy for powerpc's doesn't exist yet.
You're plowing new ground, there aren't any FAQs or HowTo's.

Just as a possibility, you might check out the boot-floppies source from CVS
or just browse it at cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies, to see how it was done
for i386. I'm not even sure it would be appicable, though.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |