[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

re: MontaVista library optimizer

I have pre-alpha versions at http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/.

I just got them to sort of work today and haven't had a chance to look
at why it doesn't completely work yet, but I'm posting them since
there were other parties interested in playing and I don't want to hog
all the fun :-)

Have a look at the -2.diff.gz to see where I am coming from, we
basically build depend on the -pic packages and create the objects and
index we need from them.  I think that is a pretty good way of doing
it, feel free to disagree and suggest an alternative.  I also put in a
few lines that copy over missing libraries, libopt previously assumed
unreduced libraries already on the target.

Results (note, as I said above, I haven't looked at why.  I think
using this software is a good idea long term and I'm sure we're close
to success)

I reduced idepci root.bin and it was 13k bigger using libopt than
using mklibs.  In addition dbootstrap didn't want to run:
\h:\w\$ dbootstrap
dbootstrap: relocation error: /lib/libdl.so.2: symbol __cxa_finalize,
version GLIBC_2.1.3 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time

but ash and busybox were happy.

Places to look at for the bugs, I think the bugs is in one of the are
in the build scripts.

That's all for now,


Reply to: