i386; fstab never written...

Hi,
This is not as drastic as it sounds, but I think warrants attention anyway.
It's more of a usability issue rather than a bug. I was trying to install
Debian from the woody disk images (normal; not safe, not compact) and was
getting as far as the 'Install Base System' option, using the 'network'
option, but it was having trouble installing the 'groff' and 'man-db'
packages. The problem is this: once the install system detects errors
installing it bails out with no option to continue and configure the
packages that are installed (bar telling it to do so from the command
prompt - I did say a usability issue ;). The upshot of this is fstab is
never configured properly (it doesn't seem to be in the 'Make System
Bootable' bit) and you can't reboot the system because it hangs after
entering run-level 2 (after/during starting syslogd - that bit might be
specific to my installation ?/ ) to put things right
(ie. run dselect ;).
Also, it does not seem to like the fact that proc is already mounted if you
run 'Install Base Sytem' multiple times.
Finally, it would be nice if the 'network' option (downloading stuff from
the internet) didn't bail out on any (ish) error, so you have to start
again. Also, 'go back to menu' buttons would be nice for when we've selected
something, which we shouldn't have, so we don't have to keep pressing
Ctrl-C.

Matthew Bell
matthew@thebells.iofm.net

p.s. After pressing Ctrl-C, selecting the 'Make System Bootable' option
seems to act like pressing Ctrl-C again.

p.p.s. damn I'm long winded...