Re: can't detect NIC

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 11:03:16AM -0400, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
> I'm tyring to install the i386 disks from 'testing' on a Toshiba 1805-S203,
> to which I've added a Linksys "Combo" ethernet card.

you didn't mention which flavour (if any) you were using.

> I guess that somehow the system doesn't know that eth0 should be
> identified with the pcnet_cs driver.  How can I tell it?

i found something similar with my Xircom CreditCard Ethernet CE3B-100BTX
card - some versions (3.1.28) of pcmcia-card-services detect it as a
memory card.

however, i found that compiling the 3.1.22 modules, and using it with
the 3.1.28 cardmgr (as is found on bf-3.0.13 and greater) provides
satisfactory results.

to gain even more feedback as to what is going on, either start a shell,
or go over to VC2 and start the shell there, and check the output of
dmesg.

-john