Re: proposal: option to keep kernel keymap during install

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 07:17:25PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Richard Hirst <rhirst@linuxcare.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >   Some older hppa boxes have keyboards for which we have a keymap
> > that works in the kernel, but don't have one in the console-data
> > pkg.  For these systems I'd like to avoid selecting a keymap
> > during install.  I can do that at the moment, but the installer
> > keeps prompting for keyboard config at each step.  A nice simple
> > solution is to just offer the keyboard config once, and then if
> > the user hits cancel, don't offer again.  In the second stage
> > install you will then be offerred keyboard config again, and you
> > can select to keep the kernel keytable.  Diff below.  What do
> > people think?  I can commit it no-one objects, or I can make it
> > #if #cpu(hppa).  Longer term, we can get a keymap in to console-data,
> > get the b-f build to pull it in, etc.
>
> Sorry I never responded to this.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to do one or more of the following:
>
>  - if no keymaps are available, skip this step
>
>  - add another keymap option (not generally the default), "don't use
>    a keymap", which would suppress this step?

I committed my simple fix July 12th btw.  Your first option wouldn't
help as we do have keymaps that work with systems with ps2 keyboards.
Your second suggestion is fine, but to do it right we should probably
record the selection and avoid prompting again during second stage
install.

Richard