Re: successful i386/reiserfs install

#include <hallo.h>
Riku Voipio wrote on Mon Aug 27, 2001 um 12:54:34PM:

> some minor points:
>
> 1. didn't ask for the non-us mirror, or atleast didn't spot
>    it

Hm. The boot floppies don't use any non-us software, so what do you
expect? If you wish the question after the base installation, please
forward this wish to the baseconfig people.

> 2. when writing lilo, the screen got messed up.

But in lilo's postinst, I will forward your mail to the maintainer.

> 3. asked, if i wanted to mount root with -notail, althought
>    i had a ext2 /boot partition, this could be probably
>    autodected.

But /boot is still not mounted when you are mounting /, so how should
the autodetection work? BTW, I guess the "notail" option is no longer
needed with the recent formats of ReiserFS. But ReiserFS developers
don't care much about compatibility, IMHO, so better keep using
"notail".

> 4. still a 2.2 kernel? ok, 2.4 still has glitches,
>    but still gives a pretty dated feeling...

Woody will become Stable. And 2.4.x has still a long way to go to become
really stable. The only real disadvantage of linux-2.2.x are missing
ethernet drivers, and this may be improved if Herbert Xu would use my
patch package.

> 5. inetd comes with the default install, and listens to
>    obsolete services as default. unecessary security risk IMO.

Feel free to discuss it on an appropriate mailing list.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
"Es freut mich doch immer wieder zu hoeren, das RTFM heutzutage echt total
 out ist. Zum Glueck hab ich bei meinem Arbeitsplatz im AKW Muelheim-Kaerlich