kernel problems for installation

Hello,

I hava on older P133 with on onboard graphical card. I always had
problems with newer kernel: in the 2.4 kernelversions I always have to
comment some lines in the file /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/setup.S
(found this somewhere in the kernel mailing list):

        inb     $0x92, %al                      #
        orb     $02, %al                        # "fast A20" version
        outb    %al, $0x92                      # some chips have only
this

If I didn't do this, i always got a black screen right after the
decompression of the kernel. Yes, I did compile with virtual terminal
support and with support for console on virtual terminal but that didn't
help!

I never installed a 2.2 kernel on that machine. Now I would like to run
a little test-environment for my applications on that machine and start
with a complete reinstall (to have a very clean system). When I try the
new bootdisks (and also some older versions) I always get that black
screen after the kernel decompression... I would like to know if anybody
ever tried to replace the bootdisk kernel with a 2.4 version and if
possible with reiserfs support, because I would like to have all my
filesystems on reiserfs?

Thanx!

Trogie
      ,*,      |  Tom Rogie  mail: Tom@rogie.be         |  -°)