Re: how to use BTS for install disks

Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> writes:

> 	Yes, exactly that bug. The problem is that the modules are not
> 	present in the /target/lib/modules/2.2.19/pcmcia directory (in
> 	fact, there is no pcmcia directory). I had been bitten by this
> 	bug and I saw at least one more person report it to
> 	debian-boot (which I now subscribe).
>
> 	I haven't seen any comments regarding the fix, though.

Fixed, but we have other problems now, to wit, the cardmgr stuff which
is packed off to the drivers disk isn't showing up like it should...

> 	To make *my* matters worse, my card (a vanilla Realted-8139
> 	based PCMCIA card, whose manufacturer has not even included
> 	its name on the package) is not supported with the standard
> 	pcmcia-cs package. On the other hand, recompiling a new 2.4.9
> 	stock kernel with in-kernel PCMCIA support and enabling the
> 	8193too module seems to work fine.
>
> 	I guess that since 8139-based cards are so common, it would be
> 	good if the boot-floppies included support for them "out of
> 	the box" (Red Hat 7.1 does, althought I didn't see what
> 	solution they have adopted).
[...]
> 	And I have already offered my help to the boot floppies team.
> 	:-)

You're offering to the wrong group.  You would have to work out a way
so that the 2.2.X kernels and the pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules carry
support for this device.  This probably means working through kernel
patches or pcmcia-cs patches.

In either case, you must work with the kernel maintainer and/or
pcmcia-cs maintainer.   I would suggest working out patches and filing
Important bugs against the relevant packages.