Re: status bars during base download

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 09:31:27PM +0100, Richard Hirst wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 09:14:44PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Would be nice to finish that off -- right now, it's very annoying
> > debug spam.  If we can't get it done, we should at least not show the
> > raw output (XXX  YYY ...) on the screen, flashing on and off...
>
> 1. I havn't checked how it looks on serial console yet (should be
>    much better as there will be less screen redrawing)

Tried to do that on hppa, but my 2.4.7 kernel seems broken atm
for serial console on this particular box.

> 2. The progress bar hits 100% after download completes, and then
>    sits there while the extracting/configuring phase runs, which
>    looks a little odd.

On a CD install, on a slow system, extracting/installing essential/
base packages takes much longer than retrieving, so the progress
bar sits at 100% most of the time.  Tough.

> 3. Progress bar doesn't move very smoothly, mainly because libc6
>    is so much bigger than other pkgs.
> 4. It's a shame the text with filename doesn't fit on one line,
>    might be worth triming the 'Retrieving' lines somehow so we get
>    "Retreiving ...foo/bar/wiz/thingy_3.4.5_ia64.deb"

In the case of a Retrieving... or Extracting... message, I've forced
the filename to always start on the second line, even if it would
fit on the first.  That stops the text jumping round too much.

> 5. Maybe wants 'EB_RESET call to reinitialise things for when you
>    restart the download after a failure.

Done.

I'll commit this in a few minutes.  Am about to go on holiday for
two weeks, so if it breaks, you get to keep the pieces.

I have tested on ia64 and hppa with graphical consoles, with CD
and http based installs.

Richard