Re: Alpha boot-foppies successes and failures cvs-2001-08-03

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> I build a set of bootfloppies yesterday from cvs (cvs-2001-08-03) on
> Alpha/sid.
>
> I run across the already mentioned problems so I won't elaborate on them:
>
> - sysvinit (workaround by Falk Hueffner)

Porting the latest sysvinit package should solve this, no?

> - library reduction (root.bin is a bit to big)

Did you try building using the mklibs.sh I committed on 2001-08-03
21:09 ?  Does that help?

> - Configuring modules segfaults

This is bug 107377 right?  I suspect a lib reduction problem.  Might
also be fixed by the mklibs.sh change (though it would actually be
rather odd if it was).

> - installing base segfaults and gives return value 139

Is there a bug for this?  Has this been identified?  Is it
debootstrap's fault?

> Now, what did work and what didn't thats new:
>
> 1) The tfpboot.img is not build but is later copied

Are you able to commit your patches to the archive itself?

[ snip some alpha bugs I really can't help  with, sorry]

> 4) When installing files via NFS it doesn't work to list possible
> dirs, one has to specify the correct dir manually.

This might be a general problem, not an alpha problem.  We should
track this down or file it or something.

> Also the /instmnt is still there and still confusing.

I don't think it would be best to remove this.  Rather there should be
verbage on there explaining that the mount point for the server
already mounted is /instmnt.

> 5) Installing base does not cope with /proc being mounted already

debootstrap bug?  Why does this only affect Alpha?

> 6) How do I format the DOS partition needed for milo?

Hmm.  At install time, right?  I see that sbin/mkdosfs is on the Alpha
root filesystem.  Does the filesystem have a special signature?  If
so, offer to run mkdosfs on that partition (ask first!).  If not, then
I guess you could just pop up a message warning folks that they have
to do it manually in tty2 ...

> 7) I created a new DOS partition and I have one with my current milo
> on it, but still the install told me that I have no DOS partiton so I
> can't make the system bootable.

This is dbootstrap here complaining at you?

You'd have to track this down in the source and try to fix it.

> I have a Ruffian system and I'm one of those hit with network
> problems. Does anyone know if the docs say how to cope with it? What
> to try to make it work, what boot paramter to use to use de4x5 instead
> of tulip? If not we should add that. I can write something up if
> someone corrects the grammar and spelling.

I don't think much work has been done on the Install Manual for Alpha.

You might be able to track it down on the Alpha lists (kernel or
debian lists or even SUSE support databases, which are pretty good).

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>