Re: Problems with the IBM Power Series 400 (601e/PReP arch)

"Andreas Sliwka" <Andreas.Sliwka@de.uu.net> writes:

> Hi,
>   I recently got the machine mentioned in the subject. I tried to install it
> (currently AIX is infecting the harddrive), but failed. After doing some
> deep searches on the net I found out that:
>   - in general IBM PReP machines /should/ work

Yes.

>   - the build-in graphics adapter (Diamond Viper Pro with Weitek 9000 chip)
>     is a bitch and /not/ supported.

Not supported by Linux or just by the install process we provide?

If the latter, sounds like a bug should be filed against the
kernel-image package you are using.

> The normal (and only) behaviour of a (linux) boot try is :
>   - normal PowerPC screen
>   - a lot of reading from the boot disk.
>   - I change the disks and press enter
>   - nothing.

Are you testing with woody or potato versions?

>   Now my question: Would it be possible to use the serial line to install
> the machine? Since I cant use the screen (and maybe the keyboard) this is
> the only possibility I can think of ...

Yes, should be possible, see the install manual.  there are
specialized PREP instructions as well.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>