Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 08:11:12PM +0200, Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > unfortunatly it probably won't be.  dbootstrap reads all of
> > debootstrap's output and puts it into dialogs, you see pretty much the
> > same thing both ways. checking tty3 is always a good idea though since
> > dbootstrap sends extra info to syslog and syslog goes to tty3
> And on tty3 I didn't see anything strange, the logs were posted to
> debian-cd in my first message.

yeah didn't think so.  debootstrap could use a --debug mode...

> So how could I figure out what the problem is when the installer drops me
> out with "can't download adduser"? strace the process?

well debootstrap is a shell script, what i would suggest is looking at
the command line that dbootstrap used to run debootstrap with and try
it yourself from the shell.  either drop the --boot-floppies argument
or add a 3>&1 to the end of the command.

if it run from the shell when you run it the same as dbootstrap runs
it, then something funky in dboostrap is causing trouble.  if it does
the same thing try using sh -x /usr/sbin/debootstrap <args> 2>&1 | more
and see if you can determine anything..

> Or something better: what did I mess, if everybody else can make perfectly
> bootable and installable woody CDs with debian-cd and the latest
> bootfloppies on Debian mirrors?

im not sure.

--
Ethan Benson