Problems installing Debian Linux 2.2.17 (from kernel-image-2.2.17_2.2.17pre6-1)

Hi

My problem is that when I get into the Debian Linux Installatin Main Menu and then I want to,
for example, partition my hard disk, it says:

"No hard disk!
No hard disk drives could be found. Make sure they are cabled correctly and are turned on
before the system is started. You may have to change driver settings when you start the
system with a command at the "boot:" prompt, or you may have to load a driver that is in a loadable module to solve this problem."

Also when I boot one of the things printed is:

"D0 FUJITSU LBA ULTRA DMA 5

and while the linux kernal is being loaded:

"hda: no response (status = 0xa1), resetting drive
  hda: no response
  hdb:Hewlett Packard CD Writer Plus 9100, ATAPI CDROM drive
  hdc:ATAPI DVD=ROM 16x MAXIMUM, ATAPI CDROM drive"

I have a suspition that it may be that I've got ata100 and this version does not have built in support.
I have however looked on the net (including www.debian.org) and have not found any ata100
debian driver's.

My setup is as follows (relevant):

ASUS A7V motherboard with UltraDMA/100 and in Windows I use
the Promise Ultra 100 IDE Controller and it works fine (ie there is nothing wrong with the hd itself)

My hard drive is a fujitsu, model: MPG3204AT and is the master on the primary cable
and it's jumpers are set as master

The hard drive mentioned above is the only hard drive in the system but it is in a mobile hard
drive rack connected via a short cable to the IDE slot

If you think that it is just a case of getting an ata100 driver then could you point me in the direction
of finding one, otherwise could you please give me some advice as what to do.

Thanx in anticipation
Colette
stormyc@freemail.absa.co.za