Re: PMAC boot after install

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 12:12:08PM +0200, ben@fuchs-edv.de wrote:
> hello,
> i have a Apple G3/266 with internal ide drives. i partitioned a drive as
> so:

this is a beige G3, correct?  blue ones don't exist that slow...

> hdc1 partition map
> hdc2 Apple_Bootstrap 800k

this won't help you on OldWorld (which is what you have), its still
good to make one in case you wanted to move the disk to a newworld.

> hdc3 LinuxSwap       200MB
> hdc4 LinuxRoot       2GB
>
> i then booted off the latest Debian2.2r3 CD for PMAC and followed all
> the steps, mounting hdc4 as root /.
> when the base install is finished the install script says "reboot mac"
> it then reboots but i just get a blinking disk image. why is the debian
> installer not able to make the root partition bootable ?

because OldWorld OpenFirmware sucks, we make a much better attempt
make the disk bootable in woody boot-floppies but im afraid it will
still fail probably 60% of the time.  for your machine you need to
reconfigure OpenFirmware, see the install docs about using ofpath, and
see http://penguinppc.org/usr/quik for information on quik.

reliably making the disk bootable only works on NewWorld PowerMacs
(Blue G3s, iMacs, iBooks, G4s etc), and it only works in woody
boot-floppies, not potato's.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/