Re: Boot disk doesn't recognize Compaq DL360's RAID controller

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 03:59:25PM -0700, Adam Shand wrote:

> I'm trying to install Debian on a Compaq Proliant DL360 with the
> integrated smart raid controller.
>
> The error message I get is on boot up:
>
> scsi : 0 hosts.
> scsi : detaected total.
> Partition check:
> apm: BIOS not found.
> VFS: Cannot open root device 00:00
>
> I am very familiar with Debian (but not with Compaq hardware or hardware
> RAID).  It does work with a stock Redhat 7.1 CD but I really don't want to
> use Redhat.
>
> I see some mention of similar problems in the archives but they are all
> followed up with fixes to CVS.  I'm using a 2.2rev3 CD.

You need to be using the compact flavor boot-floppies. Download the
root.bin and rescue.bin images from the following.

<http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact/>

You can get by with those two if you want to grab the drivers and
modules off the net. You can install base off the cd or the net,
whatever.

The integrated smart raid controller and the eepro100 network drivers
are built-in, so you can pretty much go right into normal operations
with this kernel. However, it's not SMP, so if you have another cpu,
you'll want to install another kernel after you get things online.

I have 3 DL360s, all runnin' real pretty like.

Good Luck!

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>