creating bootdisks ???

Hi there,

I have some problems to create a dabian bootdisk (potato and woody)
with a custom kernel. I build the kernel, copy it to the bootdisk,
run the rdev.sh script provided on the disk.
the machine boots with that disk and installation starts.
Setting up the keyboards fails with the message "can't write /tmp..."
the reason seems to be, that the ramdisk is mounted read-only
and so /tmp is not writetable.

any ideas what's going wrong when creating kernel or bootdisk?

regards

Eckhard