Changes: boot-floppies (2.3.5) unstable; urgency=medium
* The "Be Kind to Porters" release, mostly work on the non-i386 ports
* Marcin Owsiany:
- making sure that i18n code is included, moving over to stuff moved from
CVS to their own packages
* Adam Di Carlo
- the logic to build a modules tarball for given root disk was a
little messed up on non-i386, partly due to some schizophrenia in
either rootdisk.sh or make/root issue; worked around
- for sparc building, we use a single sun4cmd root.bin, because it
doesn't matter which kernel we use and using none is not an option;
better handling of generic rootdisk for all arches; only SPARC right
now bothers to share a rootdisk for the different subarches, but I'm
pretty sure other subarches which don't have kernel modules in their
root filesystems should also set the 'generic_rootdisk' var in
- remove the powerpc empty images-1.44 directory
- other build fixes and cleanups
- README (for developers): some updates
- README (for users): rewrite the "Quick Install Instructions" part
- debian/control: add dosfstools for powerpc, alpha, m68k;
add linuxdoc-tools, snarf for powerpc (stuff in powerpc-specials);
sync build-depends and depends
- dynamically deal with READ-*.txt (internationalized top-level
README); before, we weren't shipping the Galician one
* Ethan Benson
- todo: update status regarding PowerMac booting plans
- bootprep.sh, milodisk.sh, nfsroot.sh, package-m68k.sh, release.sh,
rescue.sh, tftpboot.sh: use /bin/bash as we should be
- remove hfsutils and yaboot/ybin/mkofboot from the PowerPC root disk;
these can be run from /target after base is installed, and frankly,
we have no choice because we need the space
- ybinwrapper added to root disk, sets up the environment for calling
ybin from the new base system; add some symlinking into the target
system as required by yaboot
- Rewrite yaboot installation
- vmlinu[xz] symlink fixage when /boot is a partition (run_yaboot/run_silo)
- create /target/etc/kernel-img.conf when /boot is a partition so
kernel-images will create symlinks that work with yaboot (run_yaboot)
- More PowerMac partition checks/warning fixes, make sure they get
displayed at the right times
- Reworded PowerMac partition warning/info dialogs
- Prevent non-ext2 /boot on PowerMac
- Update Readme.yaboot
- Update install-pmac.en.sgml with current info on NewWorlds
- Remove obsolete instructions about manually running mkofboot on
NewWorld macs from documentation/en/dbootstrap.sgml. Instead tell
user to run Make System Bootable and reference yaboot.conf man page.
- Add execlog_to_string function written by Colin Walters which stores
a program's stdout in a variable, and sends its stderr to syslog, it
also returns the program's exit code.
- Reorg run_plilo_quik(), use execlog_to_string to run ofpath, cleanup/rewrite.
* Stephen R. Marenka
- Various and sundry updates to yaboot and quik boot configuration
and partition checking.
- Removed dbootstrap/powermac.c cruft.
- Added CHRP yaboot partition checking and boot configuration
- Added blank /var/log/messages file to rootdisk prototype
(fixes occassional file or directory not found error on tty3).
- Changed default ext2 formatting to use 2.2.x features, except on ARM.
- Added boot-command to quik OldWorld boot configuration.
- Removed Configure Base references from English documentation.
* Phil Blundell
- fix handling of RiscPC keymaps
- include ne2k-pci driver (and 8390, duh) on ARM systems
- correct arm specifics in release.sh
- use `Image' as kernel for netwinder
- arm is using libc-2.2.3
- netwinder kernel is too big for 1.44 rescue image; use 2.88
* Henning Heinold
- start the mipsel port
- kernelversion for mips now 2.4.3
- mips is using libc-2.2.3
* David Whedon
- Danish translation update from Claus Hindsgaul <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- add the ability to generate a problem report on floppy or harddisk
- fixes the spurious error message if dbootstrap tried to guess a
directory before prompting the user, clean up choose_medium.c.
- add vexeclog, stdarg version of execlog
- remove more base.tgz cruft
- 'Execute a Shell' talks about nano-tiny rather than ae
- fix ugly hack in boxes.c
- set default answer on extract_base questions properly
- include debootstrap support for installing sid as well
- remove time zone configuration (base-config should do that)
- 'Configure Base System' step is now executed right after base
is installed without asking.
* Joey Hess
- base-config 1.0 support
* Richard Hirst and Christian Steigies
- release.sh, rescue.sh: fix building on m68k
- config: kernelversion for m68k: 2.2.19
Announcing to email@example.com
Setting bugs to severity fixed:
Thank you for your contribution to Debian.