Re: boot-floppies 2.2.25 with i386 2.2.19 upgrade

From my understanding someone has problems with a Tekram DC390U3W or
similar card. That card has a Symbios 53C1010 chip and is fully
supported by the 2.2.19 linux kernel. The kernel driver version is
1.7.1. I don't think it is supported by the 2.2.13 kernel.
The debian boot discs should have no problems with this card.
If the problem is outside of the debian boot discs, please move the
discussion to linux-scsi at vger.kernel.org to get scsi specific help.

If the user do get the scsi bios message at boot and the boot disk is
reported as a boot device, linux should have no problem at all booting
from that disk, as long as the driver is compiled in or loaded from
initrd.

The problem you can face is hw oriented:
 . make sure it is set to 33MHz, 32bit unless you have a motherboard
   that supports wider/faster pci
 . make sure there are no irq conflicts
 . cables and terminations
 . no scsi bios banner: reflash the card
 . some disks need to be set at a lower transfer speed in the scsi bios
 . some motherboard don't do pci master parity,
   if so try ncr53c8xx=mpar:n boot line argument

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  10 270 26 67                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting