Install manual organization

Here's my thinking about re-organization the manual along the lines
you proposed. We'll need much less space to talk about installation
source options without a base tarball or floppies.

Installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 For PowerPC

Contents

1 Welcome to Debian

1.1 What is Debian?
1.2 What is GNU/Linux?
1.3 What is Debian GNU/Linux?
1.4 What is Debian GNU/Hurd?
1.5 Getting Debian
1.6 Getting the Newest Version of This Document
1.7 Organization of This Document
1.8 WARNING: This Document Has Known Problems
1.9 About Copyrights and Software Licenses

2 System Requirements

2.1 Supported Hardware
2.2 Installation Media
2.3 Memory and Disk Space Requirements
2.4 Peripherals and Other Hardware
2.5 Purchasing Hardware Specifically for GNU/Linux

3 Before Installing Debian GNU/Linux

3.1 Backups
3.2 Information You Will Need
(was 4.2) Planning Use of the System
3.3 Pre-installation Hardware and Operating System Setup
(was 5.1) Overview of the Installation Process
(delete) 5.2 Choosing the Right Installation Set
(delete) 5.3 Installation Sources for Different Installation Stages
(new) Obtaining Operating System Installation Files
   -- CD/ROM tco, Hard Disk download instructions

4 Booting the Installation System
4.1 Booting from Diskettes
4.2 Booting from a CD-ROM
4.3 Booting from a Local Area Network
4.4 Booting from a Hard Disk
4.5 (was 6.6) Troubleshooting the Boot Process
 (move these into troubleshooting)
 6.1 Boot Parameter Arguments
 6.2 Interpreting the Kernel Startup Messages
4.6 Introduction to dbootstrap
4.7 ``Release Notes''
4.8 ``Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu''
4.9 ``Configure the Keyboard''
4.10 Last Chance!

5 Partitioning Your Hard Drive and Initializing Partitions
 4.1 Background
 4.3 Device Names in Linux
 4.4 Recommended Partitioning Scheme
 4.5 Example Partitioning
delete ->  4.6 Partitioning Prior to Installation (we recommend using Debian partitioning tools)
7.6 ``Partition a Hard Disk''
7.7 ``Initialize and Activate a Swap Partition''
7.8 ``Initialize a Linux Partition''
7.9 ``Mount a Previously-Initialized Partition''
7.10 Mounting Partitions Not Supported by dbootstrap

6 (new chapter) 7.11 ``Install Operating System Kernel and Modules''
7.12 ``Configure PCMCIA Support''
7.13 ``Configure Device Driver Modules''
7.14 ``Configure the Network''

7 (new chapter) 7.15 ``Install the Base System''
7.16 ``Configure the Base System''
7.17 ``Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk''
7.18 ``Make a Boot Floppy''
7.19 The Moment of Truth

8 (new chapter) Base System Configuration
7.20 Debian Post-Boot (Base) Configuration
7.21 MD5 Passwords
7.22 Shadow Passwords
7.23 Set the Root Password
7.24 Create an Ordinary User
7.25 Setting Up PPP
7.26 Removing PCMCIA
7.27 Configuring APT

9 (new chapter) Task and Package Installation
7.28 Package Installation: Simple or Advanced
7.29 Simple Package Selection -- The Task Installer
7.30 Advanced Package Selection with dselect
(new) Package Installation from the Command Line
(new) Package Configuration
7.31 Log In

8 Next Steps and Where to Go From Here

8.1 If You Are New to Unix
8.2 Orienting Yourself to Debian
8.3 Further Reading and Information
8.4 Compiling a New Kernel

9 Technical Information on the Debian Installer

9.1 Source Code
9.2 Rescue Floppy
9.3 Replacing the Rescue Floppy Kernel

10 Appendix

10.1 (was 5.4) Description of Installation System Files
10.1 Further Information and Obtaining Debian GNU/Linux
10.2 Linux Devices

11 Administrivia

11.1 About This Document
11.2 Contributing to This Document